People's Assemblies Network

On-Line Planning Meetings

| 9 Comments

On Line Meetings -  All welcome !

This evening Monday 11th July at 19h GMT will be the 2nd international assambly to talk about the 15 oct, and international coordination. It will be a voice chat and you need to install this program and enter the next server.
mumble.noc4net.com

A> Transcript of International Meeting held on Monday 4th July to discuss Oct 15th B> MINUTES UK/International Meeting 25th June

A> Transcript of International Meeting 4th July to discuss Oct 15th


AGENDA AND A SUMMARY OF PROPOSALS:

1.      IDEAS TO MAKE THE 15OCT EVENT GO GLOBAL SPREADING BEYOND SPANISH AND EUROPEAN BORDERS.

- What face do we want to show to the world?
We need to focus on the universal problems if we want to do a global event. So the question is which are the universal problems? The following issues were mentioned by participants:

-Environmental problems.
-Human rights declaration. Maybe we should wait for the next occasion, 10th of December as the anniversary of its signing. To support the countries that have ratified them but where they are not respected.
-Political system: Democracy for countries that lack it, participatory democracy for the ones that have some type of it.  (Most participants agree that this is a fundamental point)

-Economic & financial system: the government of our countries has been kidnapped by the markets; the politicians no longer work for us. (Participants unanimously agree on this point)
-Fair trade & responsible consumption
- Job insecurity
- Unfair distribution of wealth and natural resources

- What should be the central  idea of the call to action?
The event should focus on the most fundamental global problems so that every country feels represented.
That global citizen realizes that the world is heading in the wrong direction, not only in politics and economics also at social level.
Elaborate a global manifesto so every citizen of the planet would feel themselves represented in the movement.
It is very important to help in the creation of networks in every country as the ones we have in Spain, Greece, Italy…

- What are the expectations of the different platforms with regards to the 15- October event? What are we trying to achieve?

- To let the world hear about us. That citizens of every country realize that it is not just a Spanish, Greek, thing; that in their own country the movement is alive, that there are people working for a change and that they can join them and be part of it. Let people realize that they are not alone, that we are hearing their voices.
To contact the different movements around the world to unite all voices in one that would say “IT IS ENOUGH” .

-To encourage the citizens to gather in assemblies to talk and discuss about these global problems and those more specific to their countries, To try to find their own solutions.

.

- To let the political economic & financial systems understand that we have awakened, we are united and we are watching them. That they see us as human beings and not as votes or consumers. To show the political system that we are able to get to a consensus in our actions and they can’t.

- To consolidate global networks and to promote them in the countries that they cannot use them freely.

- Under what name we should make the call to action?

Some are concerned that REVOLUTION could be associated with violence, chaos and rebellion, so it would be better to avoid that term.
But we agree that it is too soon to decide the name because there are still lots of questions without an answer.

A graphical interpretation that could work quite well would be to change the O in 15O for a image of the globe, so there will be no problems of translations.

2.     THE REACH OF THE EVENT OF 15 – OCTOBER

Analyzing that not every cause can be exported to all the countries and that reprisals differ from country to country, should we make the call globally, the same everywhere? Or should we try to make a difference from the event between countries that make the call and those  whose causes are supported from the movement but that are not expected to take to the streets?

Maybe we shouldn’t talk about what countries will join us, because this will depend on each country, and it will be a personal decision of their citizens to take the streets or not.

We didn’t reach a consensus about if we should make a single call for the whole world, or different ones.

[ ASISTENTES:

laurent DRY Coordinator France
Leti corrdinadora Lanzarote ( Canarias)
Lyona: Buenos Aires (Argentina), colabora en equipo difusión y comunicacion de DRY
Neftalí: DRY Granada,
Quod: DRY Barcelona, contenidos, comunicación y networking
Darren: Peoples Assembly Network (Im located London / Brighton UK)
Susana: coordinadora UK, Manchester
Syk: DRY Granada (conocimiento de oriente proximo)
Bruno Suarez: Uk coordination
Evangelos (Greece):  European policies
Arianne Sved (USA):
Rosa DRY Cabra - internacional Francia  ]

Spanish version also set out below.. !

B> MINUTES UK/International Meeting 25th June

1) Cardiff 19J: Assembly with 10 people in city centre. Looking to join UK Uncut groups. Difficulty getting people involved. Camp for 14 days. 180 people on FB.
Liverpool: “Democratic Revolution LVP”: a group of about 12-15 organising meetings and events. We meet every a quiet march (12 people) and distributed over 100 leaflets to local people. We gained another 8 people for our FB group as a result. We are now investigating ways to improve communication with other groups, local and national media and pressure groups. We have made links with UK Uncut.
London: many regular london assembly people are busy with activities – they have been making links with J30 Strike Assembly and are helping to facilitate that. Linking up with large Spanish contingent of democracy now movement. Made good links with A World to Win (Corinna is here, from them) and from the People’s Assemblies Network. And also they have had talks with the Education Activist Network, Coalition of Resistance etc – there were around 500 in Trafalgar Square for J19. London based colleague Paul Brandon of a Right to Work put out a statement 25/06/11 calling for ‘Spanish style camps’ in town squares across country on J30. See http://righttowork.org.uk/2011/06/right-to-work-calls-for-spanish-style-city-centre-occupations-on-30th-june/. Hoping to take Parliament Square J30. Trying to get a London college to form a Peoples Assembly. Will be put to Student Union this week hopefully. We have been working for permanent assemblies in different places. The Lambeth PA on May 21 agreed to hold its next meeting in September and to become a standing body.
Manchester: First assembly on 19J (60 people). Past tuesday there was a Manchester Coalition Against the Cuts meeting. 100 people. All very willing to do ´something´ like 15M (Movement). Attempted an assembly 25/06/11 to plan for J30. Not many people showed up.
York: We are not organised as an assembly. There are only three of us. There was a democracy camp in York for one weekend; check link. http://democracycampyork.wordpress.com/
Trying to build up for the 30th, which is the main goal of all this to build up and add numbers.

2)
J30
Birmingham: My plan is to attend but I really have nothing in mind yet, maybe link with the UK Uncut
Brighton: in Brighton we will have an assembly tomorrow during which we will decide whether we will support 30j or not
Edinburgh: In Edinburgh the people decided to join the 30j demonstration, but the one which is going to take place in glasgow
Liverpool: We have nothing official for J30. I have tried to encourage our members to join me on the Liverpool March via Facebook.
London: J30 we’ll have a assembly block on the march to parliament sq – distributing leaflets etc. Then we’ll set up an assembly using sound system hopefully. It will be moderated using facilitators we’re going to learn from the Spanish DRY how to organise the assembly. There have been 3 assemblies to plan , and what has been agreed is (a) to suport local London picket lines [ as described by Andy (b) to form a People's Assembly Block to go on the London march (c) to convene a Striker's Assembly (with 15M London the Peopple's Assembly network and others) in Westminster very near the main union rally] and (d) to organise autonomous actions in the City against financial institutions in the afternoon / eve (e) maybe to camp on in Westminster. there is a Website http://www.j30strike.org
Cardiff: June 30th plans: We already contact with a group who is organizing an action to stop for the lunch and take the streets at that time to demonstrate the support to the strike. I think it’s not going to be huge, but at least is something, and we can get closer with the group who is organizing this. I think it’s uncuts as well.

3) Suggestions:

  • connect with local student groups mobilising for J30 and try and get them into the Assembly / camp idea. there have already been calls for this from some student organisers.
  • arranging showings of relevant documentaries, accompanied by debates.
  • define ourselves as a movement.
  • the main issue is gettting the word out that we actually do not have a democracy – once people understand this thigs will evolve by themselves
  • In Edinburgh people are organizing a kind of festival to spread the movement, projecting documentaries as “Inside Job” and others..
  • flyers, word of mouth, a web presecence which sets out clearly the problems, the proposed solutions and the way of getting there
  • contact national media to increase exposure
  • Maybe we have to forget about the labels: “15M”, “DRY”, ….
  • information about the corruption of English polititian then create an informative flyer
  • tax evasions maybe
  • local groups here in the UK call for a European Day of Action for Real Democracy
  • a day of coordinated action – people standing with placards at the places in cities where free newspapers are distributed. the placard could include a link to sites which disseminate information about democracy and our lack of it and what people can do – not sure about legality issues but its an idea!
  • a national manifesto with a list of values that our Movement considers central. wiki? for an english manifesto?
  • So why not call for a European Day of Action on Friday August 19th with a picnic and assembly and possible acampada – on a Friday for a three day weekend which shows solidarity with our Muslim brothers and sisters (the other two days of the weekend being Jewish and Christian)

Decisions:

We have decided that we will work bottom up, create as many assemblies as possible that are in public places and clearly visible, invite other groups to support us.

Please FB message: “http://www.facebook.com/luke.t.shore” with name and location and L will add you to coordination group.
Local assemblies in public spaces, local information needed, indignation with common issues and positive solutions in terms of local involvement.
Next meeting: 09/07/11.

Spanish Version of International On-line meeting:

1. IDEAS PARA QUE EL EVENTO DEL 15 OCTUBRE TRASPASE LAS FRONTERAS ESPAÑOLAS Y EUROPEAS

- ¿Qué cara quiere mostrar el movimiento al mundo?

Tenemos que centrarnos en  los problemas universales si vamos a hacer un evento global. Así que la  cuestión es ¿cuáles son los problemas universales? Distintos asistentes mencionaron los siguientes puntos:

- Medio ambiente
-Declaración de los Derechos Humanos, tal vez tener otra manifestación el 10 diciembre día de los ddhh para apoyar a los países donde se han ratificado, pero no se respetan.
-Sistema político: democracia para los países que no la tienen y democracia participativa  para los paises que gozan de alguna democracia (la mayoria de asistentes opina que este es uno de los puntos fundamentales)
-Sistema económico-financiero: el secuestro que sufrimos los ciudadanos con la alianza del sistema político y el financiero. (en este punto, los asistentes mostramos unanimidad)
-Consumo responsable
- Precariedad laboral
- Distribución de la riqueza y recursos naturales
- Legislación más restrictiva para las empresas y derechos universales para todos los ciudadanos del mundo.

- ¿Cuál debería ser la idea central de la convocatoria?

La convocatoria debería de centrarse en los problemas globales mas fundamentales para que así puedan sentirse incluidos todos los pasíses y no sentirse fuera de la convocatoria.

Que la ciudadanía global se de cuenta de que el mundo está tomando un rumbo equivocado, no sólo politica y econónicamente si no también socialmente.

Elaborar un manifiesto global para que así toda la ciudadanía del planeta pudiera sentirse lo más identificada posible con el movimiento

Es importante crear las mismas redes que estamos creando en España, Italia, Grecia, etc, en el resto de países.

- ¿Cuáles son las expectativas de las plataformas convocantes con respecto al 15O? ¿Qué se pretende conseguir?

- Darnos a conocer al mundo, que la ciudadanía de los distintos países conozca que en su propio país también existe el movimiento, que hay gente trabajando y que pueden unirse a ellxs para trabajar en conjunto. Que se den cuanta de que no están sólos, de que escuchamos sus voces.
Contactar con los movimientos sociales de cada país para para conseguir una enorme masa de indignación alrededor de todo el planeta.

- Animar a la ciudadanía a discutir sobre estos problemas globales y sobre los temas más concretos en sus países, animar a la ciudadanía a celebrar asambleas para tratar estos temas y encontrar sus propias soluciones.

- Que el sistema político y económico-financiero se den cuenta de que estamos despiertos y de que estamos unidos y de que los estamos vigilando. Que nos vean como personas y no como votos o consumidores. Mostrarle al sistema político que somos capaces de consensuar acciones y que ellos no lo son.

- Consolidar las redes globales, promover las redes en los países donde no tienen la posibilidad de utilizarlas libremente.

- ¿Con qué nombre debería lanzarse la convocatoria?

Varios asistentes opinan que debemos evitar la palabra “revolucion” porque se puede asociar con violencia, rebelion o caos.
Aunque es demasiado pronto para ponerle un nombre, pues hay otras cuestiones que aún no hemos consesuado, que deberían de estar claras antes de ponerle un nombre al evento, como por ejemplo ¿cuales son los problemas globales?

Si dejamos 15O y cambiamos la O por el globo, así no tenemos que traducir  el nombre.

2.ALCANCE DE LA CONVOCATORIA

Teniendo  en cuenta que no todas las causas son igualmente exportables a todos  los países y que las represalias esperables difieren de país a país, ¿se convoca globalmente por igual a todos los países o tratamos de  establecer desde la convocatoria una diferencia entre países en los que  se convoca y aquellos cuyas causas se apoyan desde la convocatoria pero  de los que no se espera que salgan a la calle?

No tendriamos que plantearnos que países se van a unir, pues eso depende de cada país, aún más, es una decisión personal, cada cual decide si sale a la calle o no.

No nos pusimos de acuerdo en si habría que lanzar diferentes convocatorias o una sóla.

9 Comments

  1. the firs one went better that i thought. great for start!!

  2. I agree… we have shared some good ideas… but decisions of actions should be taken locally, according to the local reality… we have seen that we all share the same problems…
    a picnic for 19J [do you mean August 19th ??? Mark] has been seen well, we are going to look for tools for work on net, like n-1, riseup and peopleassembly and we all will refer to http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_147765901962890 in the meanwhile, for a better coordination…
    so very nice meeting!!! see you in the next one!!!

  3. I think it started well, but later it got very difficult, and we were struggling to moderate the meeting. It was inspiring to hear about all the things everyone’s been doing. I really think we should set finish times as well as start times – that way people are more likely to stay the whole meeting and decisions made at the end are fairer as everyone is able to participate in them. Better planning is also needed – the summary at the beginning took a long time and this is something that could have been prepared beforehand, as it meant that people were already becoming tired by the most important part of the meeting – the brainstorm of ideas and future plans. Overall though I think it was great. I think we have already learnt a lot and made a lot of progress, and am convinced that we will continue to do so.

  4. (1) The Intros at the beginning of meeting moved quite swiftly onto J30, possibly prematurely [if so, my mistake as facilitator]. This happened because people were conscious of the clock ticking on the meeting (it took some time for each group to speak) and it was agreed the general pattern that was emerging in the intros – small, indignado inspired groups forming in places, but yet to connect as fully and constructively with other social movements in the area, and /or the general public – was repeated. It was hoped that the J30 bit would allow other groups to speak about their local context to complete the UK 15M picture begun with the intros. Unfortunately however the transcript from the chat room is not complete so we do not have a record of all the group localities that participated in the meeting. As I remember rhere were individuals/groups from York, Stockport and Colchester aswell as the bigger, more obvious places mentioned. There were also participants from Granada, Italy and France and perhaps others. It is difficult to say what the proportion of UK/other to Spanish background was, but my guess is it was around 50/50.

    (2) London Assembly it was notable that regular/key (mainly Spanish) London Assembly members were not present in the meeting although there were people there who have interacted with 15M London constructively such as Corinna Lotz, Andy Paice. myself. Hopefully this will be rectified in the next on-line meeting (7pm Saturday July 9th)

    (3) Communications – the last part of the meeting was dedicated to a discussion about communications and the need to improve comms across UK groups, and to find a suitable on-line network organisational tool. A working group was formed to take this forward. So far this work has amounted to a short discussion on the UK Coordinating FB group and email exchanges between myself, Susana & Sophie in Manchester and Bruno (who is connected to the Mancester group but based in Lanzarote). We will follow this up with another message about comms ..

    (4) Co-ordination Next Steps pls can everyone interested in UK Coordination:
    A. join the UK Co-ordination FB group at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_147765901962890)
    B come to the next on-line meeting if possible to discuss where we are at: (Sat 9th July 7pm at same chat venue http://15m.speeqe.com/ )
    C. put any comments on last meeting, these minutes or suggestions for next meeting with others here.

  5. hey guys congratulations for your determination and work you put forward so far.
    I can see the huge problem that you have with organization though,
    I have solved this issue for you with my wiki based web side.have talk with few of you already without getting any response though. If you want to solve your problem you need to use wiki structured web side not blogs or forums, other way it will be always a mess. I made it for you to use and i would not waste my time without a reason, so try it and use it unless you want to carry on your communication struggle and work separate hundreds little groups instead of all together . you could create and discuss issues non stop not just ones a week at some chat room where all of you through ideas at the same time. To involve all people in the same project you need structure, wiki architecture provide this structure for you, its great you all have your separate websites and i admire your work but to communicate efficiently to be separate its not a way to go, i am not saying it because i want to promote my website but because that is the way out, i dont know what else to say, it seem like i am the only one who can see why this is the best way to deal with this things and no one pays attention to even try to understand me. it seems like i trough words into the void, it not fun to watch you struggle being stuburnly resistant to what i say. I hope at leaat some of you will try too understand what the fuss about. I am willing to provide any further informations and suport to anyone if required. I guess writing this here is all i can do, the rest is up to you.
    regards to you all, and good luck.
    http://www.rewiki.co.uk
    Piotr

  6. Pingback: People’s Assemblies » On-Line Planning Meetings | Social Network Unionism

  7. Hi!
    Congrats, do you please have a coordinator for France and do you know how we can contact (FB..?) Do you have a FB wall for these assemblies 4th July + 11th July?
    Many thanks!
    Best regards!

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.